If everyones bad at RP, No ones bad at RP

Absolutely this. The character you see on the street in Los Santos is not representative of the person behind that character, there's a vital difference between muse and mun. (Muse being the character being played and mun being the person playing that character.) When I first joined Badlands, I went a week without experiencing any type of negativity and I truly enjoyed my time here. But as time went on, more and more ooc hostility began to arise. People were upset over the littlest of things; a name, a hair style, a car color, the way you talk, and so much more. It's perfectly fine to have that CHARACTER be hostile about something that stupid, because people do it in real life, but to carry that over into out of character harassment has got to stop.

I wouldn't say I'm a popular member of the community, but I have quite a few people that I interact with on a regular basis and speak to both in game and out of game. The fact that I've had MULTIPLE people come to me to vent about out of character hostility affecting in character gameplay is truly disappointing. If someone doesn't agree to killing your character off, you don't need to message them on discord and tell them that they're 'fail rping' because they didn't agree to what you wanted. If a scene doesn't turn out the way you were hoping (God forbid you didn't get 3k from that robbery), not only is it cruel to have that hostility carry over in out of character interactions, but it's just plain childish.

Us here on Badlands need to realize that we are all our own individuals, and we are all portraying someone fictional. The blurred lines that are coming through have to end. There is far too much hostility and pettiness going on, even with people I'm extremely close to. We all just want to have a good time and play a fun game, and if we can come together as a community and realize that there is a difference between who we represent in game and who we are in real life, then we can really make Badlands the community it has the potential to become.

• Like 5

So much this. Seriously the clique drama (granted I am known for one major clique myself.) And I have been guilty of only RPing with that clique but recently have been expanding out to try to include more into my RP. And I can tell you first hand I am so glad I have done that... The RP from just allowing yourself to step out of the comfort zone is great. Try it. Let's all just have less hostility and get out there and create them stories rather than that drama. 

• Like 5

That being said, as I mentioned on discord, what truly has to stop is the confrontation and hostility towards players in private messages. I've had a few initiate in roleplay scenarios as a group that didn't end the way some of them were hoping, and then the person engaged with them would message them about 'fail rp' and continue to berate them. If you're guilty of this, as I do know the people involved in the hostile messaging, I do ask that you stop and just move on. Being cruel to people out of character doesn't benefit anyone.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fwalandra said:

That being said, as I mentioned on discord, what truly has to stop is the confrontation and hostility towards players in private messages.

That being said. When this has happened to me by people who are engaging in this thread for me personally it devalues the whole thread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, r3v0Lt55 said:

That being said. When this has happened to me by people who are engaging in this thread for me personally it devalues the whole thread.

Well thats kinda the point, ya know? We are all guilty and I in no way am excluded from my own criticism. We all gotta work together to be good to each other.  And maybe if thats how you feel maybe reach out to the person to discuss it. 

Clique drama? Sounds like middle school to me... Am I the only Badlander who's played for the better part of 3 months and hasn't recognized it as an issue? I'm in complete agreement across the board though and personally try to maintain a level of respectable RP with everyone I meet in my travels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LouieCanicatti said:

Clique drama? Sounds like middle school to me... Am I the only Badlander who's played for the better part of 3 months and hasn't recognized it as an issue? I'm in complete agreement across the board though and personally try to maintain a level of respectable RP with everyone I meet in my travels.

If you've been playing for 3 months and haven't noticed there are cliques, then yes you might be the only one. The biggest issue I have with cliques (and have since shortly after I joined) is that they seem to only be interested in RP within the clique...no interest in RP to engage the whole community. And quite frankly, what some of them consider RP...well I just won't say any more.

• Like 2

I agree with much that has been said here. I think when it comes down to it, it is up to some of us to set an example if not all of us. I am a lover of RP and I welcome it. I think more people should be more opened minded about it and stop taking it too seriously OOCly. It is mentioned time and time again, when it comes down to it- It is still a game. I am sure we all want to enjoy it and make the most of the time we have in Badlands. Do we really need to tear each-other down just because we don't agree on something or because of the lack of someones RP? 

I do my best in treating everyone with respect at first meet, it is not very hard, you know? :3

I definitely believe more community Role-Play opportunities need to be encouraged, don't limit your Role-Play just to your friends, help others have their stories be told.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LouieCanicatti said:

Clique drama? Sounds like middle school to me... Am I the only Badlander who's played for the better part of 3 months and hasn't recognized it as an issue? 

There has always been cliques and clique drama since I have joined the server last July. The underlining issue always has been those cliques join and just want to play and RP with each other unfortunately sometimes at the expense of other groups of peoples roleplay or whatever.... And I get it I do it makes sense as you come to trust the quality of RP from certain people you group up and want to play with them more... Nothing is wrong with having a group you prefer to RP with just make sure you're not so stuck up that you can't allow others into your RP... Some of the best experiences I have had on the server is branching out and trying to include more into RP or doing events. Maybe if we all stop having expectations of what we need from others to enjoy our RP and look to what we can do to help others have a better experience with your RP I think we would be better off. Basically, since I am ranting a bit. I am saying let's try to be selfless and attempt to make others experiences better and more enjoyable rather than worry so much about our own. 

Edited by KotaJon91
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The biggest problem isn't the cliques... it would be nice is the RP was server wide but that's a larger ask and really won't solve this problem.  This problem only gets sovled when people stop making it their sole purpose to:

1.  Ruin peoples fun

2.  Go out of their way to find something wrong and run to the admins to get their rivals in trouble.

Rule #1 - Don't be a dick

Rule #2 - Just have fun and do your thing. 

TLTR:  Respect

• Like 7

5 hours ago, LouieCanicatti said:

Am I the only Badlander who's played for the better part of 3 months and hasn't recognized it as an issue?

The cliques being discussed are a small fraction of the community, but as always it's usually the minorities that speak the loudest.

I do appreciate this thread @Veronica Black, and I appreciate those that have acknowledged their own roles in the clique drama. At the end of the day, as Tiller has been saying, we are a community and we're here to have fun together. Remember that even if you don't particularly like someone, there would be no Badlands if it wasn't for all of our regular players. If your goal is to harass, get banned, or otherwise drive people away from the community, you are a greater danger to the community than any amount "failrp" they could ever do. As always, if you believe someone is acting in a way that does not fit the values of the community, bring it to our (the staff) attention and let us handle it. Never take things into your own hands.

• Like 4