AFK timer

AFK Timer  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you call sending someone to prison for 30 mins? You take someone who could be roleplaying and force them to do nothing for 30 mins what's the difference. What role play do they have when they are standing around at the prison by themselves. With all due respect, it's bullshit. If you can justify 30 min jail sentences then the AFK timer should match that. 

One of the major things I have loved about this server and why I have been so active as long as I have is that it was one of the few well-coded servers that didn't go around AFK kicking. I have to go afk a ton I have a small child I take care of on my own and it was easy to be able to handle stuff like getting up to get my daughter a snack and make sure things she needed was handled without being punished for it.  And I can tell you 15 mins will not be enough time. And I refuse to wait for hours in a queue just to be kicked for being a parent. 

Edited by Kota Taylor
  • Like 3

Before this was implemented, I personally know I had to monitor and watch people who would sit in bushes, hide behind a building, find a discrete parking spot, in order to just afk on end. It was abused because they thought no one was watching! It is worse than you guys think! I watched over 6 people get removed in about 1 hour's time yesterday alone! 

I don't think many intentionally not care about being afk for so long, but the reality is, you're taking up 1 of only 32 allotted spots (with ~70 people waiting in queue). A server cycle only lasts 6 hours and people are waiting for ~2+ hours in order to experience content that can take up to hours to do/set up. 

1 person is not a big deal, but combined with how many people are actually doing this, there needs to be some accountability. 

I get your point about prison times, Kota, and it's an interesting thought. Maybe some things could be put in place in prison to help pass the time. Or perhaps prison sentences can be exempt from afk timers, and the afk timer would only begin when prison time has been completed.

• Like 2

I think people are reacting strongly but this change is currently less than 24 hours old! Let's not forget there are many ways it can be tweaked, it's not all-or-nothing. 

I think Kota and Serena have great points. Prison time could be exempt or prison could offer more to do, the time could be adjusted slightly -- maybe 20 mins -- I think 30 mins is way too high. 32 slots goes quick, queues are high, and if the timer means even just a couple more people per hour get on, it's a welcome change, and it also frees admin time and attention up which is a really good thing. 

I do feel for the folks doing stuff like mining / meth cooking and whatnot, but you should still be attentive and checking in at your PC, what if someone shows up to rob you, police show up busting you, etc.? If you're legit AFK that long you're robbing yourself and others of possible RP or creating an annoying experience, so the timer is still working as intended IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HalcyonEnd said:

Prison time could be exempt or prison could offer more to do, the time could be adjusted slightly -- maybe 20 mins -- I think 30 mins is way too high.

I don't think 30 min is prison is too high that's like saying no matter what I do I can just get a slap with 20 min and get back out there and do it all over again we are constrained to 30 min but with some crimes, it could be longer but its capped to 30 min. Idk the answers for afk timer in prison but reducing the time is def not the answer

48 minutes ago, Kota Taylor said:

If you can justify 30 min jail sentences then the AFK timer should match that.

30 minute jail sentences are justified because there is mutual RP produced by the events that put you there. Prison RP can and should be expanded, for sure. But nobody benefits from you randomly going AFK.

You also need to realize that you are the exception. For every person that has a legitimate need to be temporarily AFK, 5 others are being kicked because of their own lack of attention or selfishness (see: people complaining about being kicked while cooking meth, or hiding in bushes for hours at a time).

As for the timer itself, we can always adjust. But there are always going to be people that complain that they need 5 more minutes to get a glass of water. Just the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kota Taylor said:

What do you call sending someone to prison for 30 mins? You take someone who could be roleplaying and force them to do nothing for 30 mins what's the difference. What role play do they have when they are standing around at the prison by themselves. With all due respect, it's bullshit. If you can justify 30 min jail sentences then the AFK timer should match that. 

100% back this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kota Taylor said:

Agreed. There is literally nothing to do in prison other than kick the shit out of guards. I use that time to go grab a bite to eat and do chores. I don't mind the AFK timer but if i get kicked for going AFK in prison on a 30 month sentence, then not only do i have to wait in queue again, but i have to serve that 15 minutes I've already served all over again, which means thats another 15 minutes not RPing on top of that. I know I and many others have made suggestions on things to do in prison so its not just AFKing, the response I've gotten every time is that prison isn't supposed to be fun.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dashfere said:

30 minutes to pee and make something to eat?! WTF you doing, cooking a 5 course meal and showering seven cats?

Try being a single parent or having kids in general and remake that statement. 

10 minutes ago, Kota Taylor said:

Try being a single parent or having kids in general and remake that statement. 

4 minutes ago, Ren Yates said:

So having kids is a problem now?

You're not entitled to your position on the server any more than anyone else just because you have children, and I think that's her point.

Even admins aren't exempt from the AFK kick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, speed said:

Even admins aren't exempt from the AFK kick.

But they can jump ahead of everyone else.

I think the statement over all made was to be that the limit should be longer. Sometimes, things come up and you have to take care of the kids and have to take off very suddenly. Also there are some Jobs like Meth cooking and RP scenarios that could take longer than 15 minutes. I think that's what the problem is.

Also, if someone says that Me or someone else having to be a single parent or a parent at all and saying its a you problem is disrespectful by anyone.

Edited by Ren Yates

2 minutes ago, Ren Yates said:

But they can jump ahead of everyone else.

I think the statement over all made was to be that the limit should be longer. Sometimes, things come up and you have to take care of the kids and have to take off very suddenly. Also there are some Jobs like Meth cooking and RP scenarios that could take longer than 15 minutes. I think that's what the problem is.

Also, if someone says that Me or someone else having to be a single parent or a parent at all and saying its a you problem is disrespectful by anyone.

All you need to do is move the vehicle up 2 feet and the resume cooking... All you need to do in RP scenarios is walk 2 feet... I don't understand this argument. It's grasping for straws.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ren Yates said:

Sometimes, things come up and you have to take care of the kids and have to take of very suddenly.

And that's fine, but that doesn't mean you deserve to be idly filling a slot someone else could be using to actually play the game.

3 minutes ago, Ren Yates said:

Also there are some Jobs like Meth cooking and RP scenarios that could take longer than 15 minutes. I think that's what the problem is.

Yes, and the system already accounts for that. There's 3 minutes of warning prior to being kicked, so as long as you're not totally ignoring the game, it's a non-issue.

That said, this thread is becoming way too personal, so I'll go ahead and close it out. We'll continue to monitor and adjust as needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• speed locked this topic