Stop the Server Shut Down!!!

Charles Hill

Ok so to start this discussion out, I’m am extremely confused and to be honest extremely upset! Along with many people within this MASSIVE community, I have to say that the server being shut down out of such sudden notice brings a disappointment to my heart! 
I hate to see such an incredible community go to complete waste because the ones who run it just decide that they don’t have the motivation or determination to continue on. While i can see why it could be exhausting to stay focused over such a long period of time and continue to support the server. What i don’t understand is why we can’t band together as one community to continue supporting this server! Throughout this massive server, i know there are a lot of passionate leaders and developers who would love to continue this project moving forward! I personally have spent many long hours and even days trying to build a reputation in this community and I know everyone can say the same thing, which is what makes badlands so amazing! If you are tired of the continued upkeep and development I beg you to hand off the leadership to some dedicated individuals of this community! I would hate to see everything we have all worked so hard for, go to a complete waste after the extreme hype of 2.0 and everything! 
@speed

To everyone who is reading this, please share your love below to try and save this amazing community for being destroyed!!

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Charles Hill said:

I beg you to hand off the leadership to some dedicated individuals of this community

There are several factors leading to why we aren't willing to do this. The most simple explanation is that we're protecting the Badlands brand, and what it means to be a Badlands server.
Obviously, though, this has caused a lot of confusion and frustration, so I'll try to explain our reasoning a little more.

--

The first and most important reason is the protection of our players.

We don't collect a lot of personal information, but we do collect some, to tie your player ID to you, for example. IP address, Steam ID, Discord, Rockstar, etc. Other information like chats, texts, phone records, etc. Hundreds of millions of logs detailing basically everything you do on the server. It's a lot of information that I'm sure people would not appreciate us just "handing over" to someone else, especially someone not particularly well known in the community.

--

Second, and kind of ties into the first, is the technical side.

Badlands is not your typical game server. Not even remotely close. In fact, in the last 2.5 years, we've had probably less than 30 minutes of total downtime due to malicious actors (DDoS attacks etc, not including DoS exploits in FiveM itself). This is pretty much unheard of for a gaming community, and something I'm actually extremely proud of, especially considering, like any popular game server, we've been under more or less constant DDoS attack for ages now. But being able to achieve that requires a complex network. Behind our single game server sits roughly 15 other servers and external services, all supporting the game itself, or other operations needed to keep things running smooth.

Understanding the network is difficult enough, but transferring ownership of it would be near impossible. The billing, accounts, etc. It's too much.

--

With those two things in consideration, that really only leaves the option of giving our code to someone else, for them to start brand new. And while we could do that fairly easily, it would also defeat most of the purpose of handing it off. After all, your main frustration isn't that the server itself is going away, it's that your work will be lost, yes?

We really do understand the pain and frustration in this decision. It really was the hardest part about all of this, because we do realize that we're not the only two people that have put significant amounts of time and effort into Badlands. But ultimately we feel it was the right choice.

I'll discuss with Serpico one more time, and we'll make a final decision, but I would not expect a change in view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If im being completely honest i wouldnt mind starting fresh in another FiveM server if it operated the way we do now, how the server works it what got my attention and the people is what made me stay. So far checking out other server mechanics and how they work always comparing to what he have here and i havent been able to find another server with mechanics that i like i enough to really embrace it.

• Like 1

As a resident of badlands I appreciate your reply speed, as well as the work serpico and yourself have done.

I don't have nearly a fraction of the time or resources invested into the badlands as many here but I would like to say I don't care much for the stuff I've accumulated, yeah it's nice but I care much more about the people that make the city great, and materials can always be replaced. Maybe I'm in the minority in that regard but I don't believe so. 

My greatest fear with this decision is that we lose the community we have here that you have laid the foundations of. I believe a lot of people would be more at ease with the decision if there were a more clear idea of what the future holds for the badlands community as a whole.

Edited by Edward M.

@speed i want to thank you and @Serpico for taking the time and consideration to even read/reply to my post addressing the concerns and frustration! It truly shows how much time and dedication you have to this community, with also how much you care for the people in the community. I want to thank you for bringing the vote to the community as a whole regarding giving out the code to the city! Thank you for everything brother and I can’t wait to here what y’alls a final decision after the polling closes to find out the fate of our beautiful community we all helped build! 

To everyone else! If you haven’t already GO VOTE!!!

http://www.strawpoll.me/18898441/r

• Like 1

20 hours ago, speed said:

that really only leaves the option of giving our code to someone else

Question: 
Will you be publically releasing the code to the FiveM forums? (With all BadlandsRP branding removed) 

The things that you've done with the vRP framework are extremely interesting, and the community would certainly benefit from a developmental resource hub such as the modifed version of vRP which Badlands is built upon. 

• Like 1

Ah, this would explain why the city has been virtually dead the past couple of days, I was wondering what was going on so came here to see if anything had been posted. It's a shame as this server was probably the least cancerous of those I had tried, and during my couple of weeks playtime I don't think I had a single negative experience and I also met some great people. Having said that, I won't waste anymore time grinding on a server that's going to be gone next month (RIP my limo business) lol!

Good luck in your future endevours, I'll most likely join you as and when I get Red Dead 2 if you do bring a server up. Peace out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Smith (36624) said:

Question: 
Will you be publically releasing the code to the FiveM forums? (With all BadlandsRP branding removed) 

The things that you've done with the vRP framework are extremely interesting, and the community would certainly benefit from a developmental resource hub such as the modifed version of vRP which Badlands is built upon. 

The current community vote is to not do a public release, but to release it privately to specific people we trust are technically savvy enough to start and maintain it.

As a developer, I'm in favor of open sourcing the code so anyone can learn and benefit from it. As a community manager, though, I understand why so many people are against it.

• Like 1

just been reading all this bc the suver is now dead and BIG hawk must say out of any thing old boy saying its not the shit we lost its the ppl that make it great is the biggest lost i have to say siting in a empty city with no one to bullshit with has to be the worst thing hawk has ever seen