Make /ad cost money

Chan

Because of the recent twitter changes, I see a lot of people abuse the /ad command. People use it as a /tweet replacement and it doesn't stop. I've seen it every day since the twitter update.

So my suggestion was to make the ads cost money. Maybe each ad costing 1k unless that's too pricey. 

A lot of people spam it each minute with mechanic update, if they're on duty of off duty and it becomes annoying in the end. So making the ads cost money would maybe not prevent abuse, but encourage only serious ads being played.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Chan Wong
error in spelling
  • Like 2

I think putting a price on ads would be a great idea, but i think it would depend. Experienced players $1,000 is pocket change..... new players $1,000 is all they have, maybe put it a percentage of the overall money you have. like 0.05% of you total money is the price of the ad????

Well maybe we can move the ads somewhere else, for example bill boards or on the side of buses? Or maybe ads do not get bumped and stay for 3 mins or so?? or maybe an arrow next to the text box when clicked opens the ads???We can find a plausible solution to every problem.

40 minutes ago, Smojo said:

Well maybe we can move the ads somewhere else, for example bill boards or on the side of buses? Or maybe ads do not get bumped and stay for 3 mins or so?? or maybe an arrow next to the text box when clicked opens the ads???We can find a plausible solution to every problem.

There is a thing called yellow pages as seen in Nopixel where all ads are placed on an app in your phones. If that was implemented then I'd agree to charging as I believe those ads stay for a while

I'm all for charging for advertisements. Maybe another way to do this would be to add an Advertisement Agent Job at the job center maybe cap at 2-3 per server. And then owners of different businesses would have to go to the Ad Agency and speak with the agent about what kinda ads they want and they can settle on a pricing. I worked at an ad agency out of high school and adding something like this would be a pretty cool way to get business owners something more to do each storm cycle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, r3v0Lt55 said:

I'm all for charging for advertisements. Maybe another way to do this would be to add an Advertisement Agent Job at the job center maybe cap at 2-3 per server. And then owners of different businesses would have to go to the Ad Agency and speak with the agent about what kinda ads they want and they can settle on a pricing. I worked at an ad agency out of high school and adding something like this would be a pretty cool way to get business owners something more to do each storm cycle.

And maybe the price could be per real life hour, so if people want a mechanic ad up for 1 hour, they pay (10k for example) and it would automatically bump every 5-10 minutes or something along the linues of that. Or as mentioned, add some sort of Yellow Pages (similar to twitter, but for ads?).

1 hour ago, Ozzie Ozbourne said:

I don't agree with this. There is nothing worse than having your ad bumped by people spamming OOC with questions or conversation for no reason. Not to mention the amount of disconnects that happen constantly that also bump ads off screen.

I agree with this, but we should work for a fix for this, maybe making the ooc chat above the ads so the ads are always displayed or something similar.

Why do this when we could have a Yellow Pages tab on our phone, all they have to do is put it once and it will stay in the pages all over the restart. This would literally stop a lot of problems, including add more functionality to the phones instead of calls. 

Btw I do love your idea of it. I feel like the ad's are abused like crazy rn.

Edited by Reuben ~ Reckonity
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reuben ~ Reckonity said:

Why do this when we could have a Yellow Pages tab on our phone, all they have to do is put it once and it will stay in the pages all over the restart. This would literally stop a lot of problems, including add more functionality to the phones instead of calls. 

Btw I do love your idea of it. I feel like the ad's are abused like crazy rn.

This sums basically up what most people want so far, I like this idea. 10/10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzie Ozbourne said:

I don't agree with this. There is nothing worse than having your ad bumped by people spamming OOC with questions or conversation for no reason. Not to mention the amount of disconnects that happen constantly that also bump ads off screen.

I typically mute OOC, that solves that, I also think Serp mentioned something in a recent stream that he was going to find another avenue for the disconnect messages.

I think one thing that could fix ads would be that you have to be signed in to a job in order to post an ad. The guys posting about races and car shows do not belong.

"But people will just sign in as a tow/taxi just to post an ad" Then report them, IDK.

I'm in support of a yellow pages app. +1

On 5/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, Serpico said:

It will cost money. This is coming very soon. Yellow pages is a significant amount of time. Right not there are other priorities.

Is there a way to at least prevent them from being bumped off screen? If I mute OOC it won't be bumped for me but for other's it'll be off screen causing me to have to pay for another add. Or are you working on a way to remove the disconnections from the chat box? Both of these things cause most of the ad bumping in the chat box.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:49 PM, Gasman said:

Page Up/Down works when you have the text box open.

First I've ever hear about that. I suppose that if it were in one of the new player guide, it would be more widely know and then half the points we're making would be moot.