In character annoucement channel

At the moment, if you have an event/announcement you can post it in the discord but it just gets buried amongst the conversation and it won't be seen my many people.

Therefore I would like to see a separate channel where people only post events/announcements. If you have a party, car show, recruitment , fight club etc you would post an ad in the channel.

Thoughts?

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, DTheOneD said:

Personally I don't hate the idea of announcement channel of sorts. But what about the game media channel? If you just "@here" maybe, and made a cool poster or something like that, for the event?

Not everyone can use @here , only you few choosen ones xD

If its a on the spot idea, then it should remain in-game using tweets, otherwise we fall into metagaming advertising ongoing events in the server and they will get deleted and action taken on the poster. If you have events you want to host and its in advance, reach out to staff or Kota, and we can add it to the forums calendar. Staff can also help advertise in game if we see fit.

• Like 6

I agree with @Serpico regarding on the spot idea's or events towards meta gaming, we should use our RP tools to our disposal for on the spot RP.
That's why I support @Fat Stackshere in the fact for more tools to our disposal to do just that. Promote the community's RP. On the spot or otherwise.

Regarding ongoing RP, long term idea's and projects, contacting @KotaJon91 for the calendar is an option. he does a great job. Sometimes it take's more. 
Businesses or idea's are ongoing, are organic, grow, develop. And reaching the community or public on a wider scale  can go beyond what a calendar can offer.
And that's what you want, give people a point of interest that lends itself into RP interaction. Creating RP motivating incentives.

In the light of contacting staff for advertisement, to me it seems that's what we are doing here. We are asking for ways to expand on that.

I myself have a cigar store, the Vegas Foundation for social projects, I have a private bank (website) where people can open accounts with interest fees, I have a Capital investment company that helps to start up businesses and so on. Right now I can post a link on media, then drop the idea on general discussion, discord to promote it, leave a post in general discussion or suggestions on the forum.
Leave Tweets, talk to people in the city. And do I really reach the community? Maybe if you're online that specific moment. I doubt on the right impact of fragmented information.
So I keep it close to my chest. 

I have been working on these for 6 months, I am not the only one with RP idea's, not being able to let the community discover this.
And some things that do become more known, sometimes I feel deserve even more support. Just to make sure it works out like the players intended.

I love it here, and the great work the staff does. I wouldn't be passionate about it, if this was not the case. 

We are a fun loving RP community. Would love to see this side be more showcased as a cornerstone of Badlands. 
It has a really positive side to it that get's lost under the suggestions, constructive criticism or general talk that's visible to us.
You need to look for this side if you want to find it, I want it on display, in the spotlight, one of the first things you see when you walk by us.

I have touched the subject with @speed , I am happy to say there is room for a discussion and I will try to put my shoulders under it.
So I had to respond to this by saying yes! ;) 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this dead topic, but I really think a dedicated channel on discord for Events and promotion of on-going businesses and services will really help bring the people together.

I am not talking about posts like PARTY NOW AT TEQUILALA... i would like to think people understand that they shouldn't do this. 
You don't need to be able to tag everyone, anyone interested in checking out whats out there just takes a look at this channel. 

I know maybe you don't want a million channels on discord, but we have 7 off-topic channels... awesome to bring the community together but this one we are asking for helps promote RP, would help bring the community together IN-GAME. Make it a little easier to find the people that are engaged in these activities and be a part of them. Forums are great and all, but a lot of people don't check them, events announcements may work in the calendar, but on going businesses and services don't.

I just don't see how it would hurt to have this.

• Like 3

Still seems easier to post it on the forums and or calendar cause even with a separate channel on discord its gonna still get buried cause there will always be people to ask questions of the time/place then talking about the event so it will just end up another chat channel about in game stuff that shouldn't be there anyway. 

1 hour ago, Flori said:

it wouldn't be a channel for conversations.. just posts with ads, flyers, posters. There is no section on the forums to post business/services/organizations stuff unless i missed it... 

Nope you didn't miss anything but its really easy to pin a thread for business and either someone input business post on discord cause if its open for all to post they will chat it will happen 

Maybe a channel where only moderators and/or a few select people can post and everyone can see. That way if someone has an idea it can be filtered out by a higher up before being posted to eliminate spam. I think this would have been a great idea months ago.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bada_mama said:

Maybe a channel where only moderators and/or a few select people can post and everyone can see. That way if someone has an idea it can be filtered out by a higher up before being posted to eliminate spam. I think this would have been a great idea months ago.

So basically the calendar, but with a worse layout?

I still have a hard time seeing why a discord channel is needed for this. Can you provided a example of what would be posted in this channel (like a sample post)?

What it sounds to me is needed is a business directory more than anything. Could see about having it in-game viewer/browser. Would have to see about this with speed in case it conflict with businesses 

Edited by Serpico

14 hours ago, Serpico said:

I still have a hard time seeing why a discord channel is needed for this. Can you provided a example of what would be posted in this channel (like a sample post)?

What it sounds to me is needed is a business directory more than anything. Could see about having it in-game viewer/browser. Would have to see about this with speed in case it conflict with businesses 

The reason is that it seems way more people use Discord than the forums.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Johnson said:

The reason is that it seems way more people use Discord than the forums.

Not enough of a reason. I’ll wait for someone with a business that is pushing for this idea to provide a example as I mentioned so we can see the type of content that would be posted. This is what will help. 

Edited by Serpico

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

Not enough of a reason. I’ll wait for someone with a business that is pushing for this idea to provide a example as I mentioned so we can see the type of content that would be posted. This is what will help. 

I don't think the OP was strictly referring to businesses though. What about special events like car shows or the Cinco De Mayo party?

@Serpico I have done a few VIP Pub Crawls that I would have LOVED to have promoted beforehand. I created flyers for them and everything that I posted in Game Media, but they quickly got buried. The first one was a rousing success, but the second had to be canceled due to lack of interest/knowledge of it happening. I think having a consistent reminder in Discord would have been helpful here.

Nancy and I had also started up a Marketing Agency that would have been nice to "advertise" as taking clients (while also doing so in-game). Like @Flori said, this shouldn't be for off-the-cuff stuff, but for actual ventures that have effort put behind them. A business directory sounds amazing like what you mentioned, but obviously just having the channel would be a lot less work for you devs :)

Edited by Mr. Whiskers
  • Like 1