Idea's for the new Hardcore Whitelist Server.

So i'm really excited for the new server that was announced a while ago! I just wanted to know all the idea's that people would want to see in it. For example, I would like to see a fresh restart of everyone so no one starts with super cars, obviously make grinding a lot harder so it will discourage that and get more RP going on

• Like 2

It would be nice if all legal jobs required interaction with another player, or, the community is somehow dependent on the job. As an example, we've talked in the past about the trucker job making fuel deliveries to gas stations, and if no one does so, the fuel supply dwindles and the price goes up. You could even make stations go dry until they get deliveries.

The delivery job could deliver to the actual stores and stock them, or else the same applies.

Illegal trucking with the drugs would be a good one for interaction with other players.

The mechanic job was a great start to this concept.

If I think of others I'll post back.

• Like 3

This is all IMO, 

How bout we do away with jobs as we know them on Badlands? more or less re-work the current state of the economy. 

On Badlands public, there is an infinite amount of money, the total never stops, and that is a broken economy. Money has no value, cause you can get as much as you want. 

I hate to suggest a Communistic server, were funds are controlled by the Gov. But unless you remove the broken economy, that is just a grind fest to get next item, this server will just be BadlandsRP 4 

I want to see players working together, bartering for trade, and fighting for control of their industry.

Have WL groups or businesses that get starting money subsidized from Investors (gov), to pay employees, and items/vehicles to use/sell.

(this will be a WL server so admins will have to pick a few trusted players who can run a biz, and invest the starting $ and items/vehicles into).

These businesses will run 24/7, 

Ex; If i own the car dealership, I can stock it with cars. Anyone at anytime can come buy a car. I get the money they get the whip. If i'm out of cars, then you have to wait till a new shipment arrives, I know that sucks, but that's HC. Also i would have to empty the safe, or risk getting my money stolen. (If a player buys a car and immediately steals money back they get banned).

Money will be in short order to start each cycle. But eventually money will start to build once players start working and trading.  

If the biz owner takes all the money they got this week from investors, and buys a sports car, then they are out of biz and will not get anymore help from the investors.

Unless the economy is strongly based on player to player interaction, (instead of player to Server, IE: buy goods from green store, or selling goods to static location), It will not work. 

Money should never disappear. All money brought into the server should stay in the economy till the server is wiped. (IE: buying stuff on current server, money goes to the nether)  

Jobs like Gov employees IE: Cops and EMS Are a good way to get small amounts of money into the economy.

limiting the ways to make money, increases the ways to RP with other players. Which is the sole purpose of HC RP. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MUSTS:

Items like Firearms must be trade able from player to player. (this is a must, or fail). Firearms on a HC server are hard to get legally, almost impossible, so illegal guns bought and sold by an illegal gun dealer.... (A PERSON) are your best bet to keep gun play down. It makes no sense that everyone packs heat, a limited amount of guns, supplied to a dealer from investors. 

Player to Player robberies must be mechanically allowed. (though reasons for doing a robbery need to be better then, "that's what my character does").

Players need to be able to die, even if EMS is on line. If the wounds are too great they should die. EMS Role Playing as God's and resurrecting people who have perished from this earth, has no place on a HC server.  This can be coded in. There is already a fail built into med kits, there will have to be a fail built into hospital visit as well. That way it is not on the EMS to decide, but coded mechanics. When its your time to die, it's your time. 

The map needs to be empty. Locations should only appear if you are part of the businesses, or gang. Only WL gangs should be able to make drugs, (they sell them to other players in bulk, who can sell them to locals or other players). Only Businesses should be able to run stores, mechanic shops, car dealerships, taxi service, and so on.

Gov employee characters like cops and ems should not take part in any illegal activity, or risk being fired till server wipe.  (gov employees should get 2 character slots)

There can be no limit on fines, or jail time. If you do the crime you do the time. There is no difference from someone solo grinding for 4 hrs on a live server or a player sitting in jail for 4 hrs. It is still a slot being taken up by a player not contributing to RP, so whats the difference?

Must be mandatory for players to record in clear quality, so they can show that their RP was warranted, (robberies, murders.....) must have lead up and RP to it, not just there's a guy lets rob/shoot him.

Player reports must be public on HC server, with unedited 1st person footage only. This greatly reduces the salt, and players backstabbing each other.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a harsh reality, but any form of training-wheels on a HC server is not right, and defeats the word "HARDCORE".     

Edited by Merr Khan
  • Like 9

I have to say Merr, you have very valid points and I like them all. The only thing is maybe have the fail rate alittle lower at the hospital end so that it's not being just shit timing for the coding shitting in the person and taking their 3 lives in 1 night possibly. Other than that, I like every point for the HC server.

A lot of points I agree and disagree with Merr. One thing I believe will never change is making player reports public. This brings in too much questioning that I can foresee staff not wanting to deal with. Too many politics involved. 

With what is already in mind for the WL server, I don't think any person will be allowed more than 1 character slot, and that character will only be allowed so many "true deaths" before they inevitably are dead completely and cannot continue playing on the server for that "season". If we don't do "seasons" of characters and server economy, then I foresee people only having a number of limited lives, period, and have to play a new person should a previous character die. I am not sure which route the staff want to go at this time, though.

I also believe the only way that "unlimited" time (there should be a limit) in prison will ever be warranted is if there is genuine prison RP and mechanics within it to make it interactive. Even if it's doing a crime, and grinding, people are doing something they feel is "bettering" their character in some way. As it stands, people just wait around in prison and alt tab to watch Netflix or go afk. I would never be for an environment where we have the same system in place and have the criminal do ~4 hours of waiting simulator.

The reality is, is a lot of SOP's would have to be changed around for the WL server, and I can already see the headache that will bring. Anything to not change PD/EMS too terribly much I think will incentivize the staff and devs to work more studiously on this project. Right now it feels like a mountain that we need to overcome...

Prison could be a fun place if it was reworked as well, i mean not as fun as being free but a nicer place, reworked with maybe a free gym, poor payed job of making pallets for example, able too make calls with a phone booth... and 4 hours might sound a bit too much but if sentences where longer you would most likely be there and meet other people that gets locked up so u can chat/meet other ppl. maybe even add a very low probability random method to try to escape from the inside, and the more people inside prison grouping up trying it would bump up the percentages of it working and making an escape, the police would be notified at the moment they escape and they could get name of the people that escaped by going to prison and retrieving files or something, then the people that made it outside and ran they are now very wanted by police. Making inmates wear the orange prison outfit would make it more immersive, and easier if the cops are in the area when the escape happens, its easy for the cops to identify the prisoners that escaped. Visitors area would be used more if sentences where longer too.

Probably a lot more could be done to make prison a place where you are not only "waiting" 4 hours, but doing stuff, making money, maybe friends, and having even fun!

Edited by Bubba
  • Like 2

If the only thing that changes on this "hardcore" Roleplay server is the number of deaths then it isn't hardcore at all. Basically, you will just have a light rp server which already pretends to be a medium rp server playing dress up as a hardcore server.... 

I agree with @Merr Khan on almost all of the things that need to be changed. If you all want to do a hardcore rp server then pull the trigger on it completely and go all out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would 100% be against limited lives as a character. I should be able to end a characters story line when I feel it fits. Not because I just happened to get run over by a local while on the sidewalk and that just happens to be the end of my character.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joe Pazkowski said:

I would 100% be against limited lives as a character. I should be able to end a characters story line when I feel it fits. Not because I just happened to get run over by a local while on the sidewalk and that just happens to be the end of my character.

I'm going to personally disagree with this point. While it is a letdown to have your story halted by an accident, that's the unfortunate reality: fatal accidents happen, dreams and aspirations can vanish in an instant due to someone else's recklessness. Not everybody can go out in a picturesque way, and a lot of people can't be trusted to end their character at all due to the emotional attachment they have to them. Forced mortality is the slap in the face that people need to act in accordance to how that character would act if they were a real person, instead of going gung-ho into a situations knowing OOC that they'll be able to walk another day regardless of the outcome of the situation.

• Like 4

Nothing ruins RP like immortality. 

Last time I checked, IRL, you rarely get to choose when you die. 

Hardcore rp is suppose to be as close to realistic as possible, if the thought of getting deleted and kicked out till next session bothers you, then HC RP is not the right place to be.

Edited by Merr Khan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe Pazkowski said:

I felt it implied something serious when I said "True deaths". Not talking about those random, obscure deaths that are sometimes utter bs.

A few things I want to make clear -

1. Mechanically, the HARD server will not be significantly different from the main server. There will be small changes, mostly surrounding value of life, prices etc, but the mechanics themselves will be the same. This may mean that mechanical changes also come to the main server at some point, but it’s not guaranteed. Supporting two different builds of the server is unsustainable, and we’re not going to split the code base by developing features for one server (especially as significant as you’re describing) and not make them available on the others.

2. Limited lives is happening. For those of you that have been here from the beginning, you know why I’ve always been against a “hardcore” server. Our objective is to build something completely unique, not to copy what every other “hardcore” server is doing by forcing RP with arbitrary rules. The goal is to create a server where the quality of the RP is a natural result of the environment, the difficulty and risk each player experiences. 

I believe that we can achieve that goal by manipulating the most basic desire of our players: the desire to play. And by making death the ultimate risk, each decision you make will be so much more important. That’s why we’re branding this as “Badlands HARD”.  Because it’s not just about hardcore RP. It’s about risk.

3. This will take time. At first, the HARD server will be nearly identical to the main servers, largely relying on rules and basic mechanics. That’s part of the point of seasons. As we analyze how people are playing, we can learn and make adjustments to the mechanics as needed, to achieve the goals mentioned above.

• Like 4

Anything to reinforce the idea of needing to value your life more sounds great. I honestly think its desperately needed.

The past couple days on the public servers I've been seeing a lot of people pulling out guns (and sometimes using them) with little/to no interaction prior.

Coupling this issue with the (at times) lack of EMS on the server can completely stop a fun story-line dead in it tracks. By the time you bleed out then go reload your inventory with the essentials, whatever fun situation you had going has passed, and you are just waiting til the next run-in with someone who plays RP like its GTA Online, then start the cycle over again.

Also making jobs so that they're more interactive with other players would be great. It would promote more RP so that it's not so few and far between that you can get a fun scenario going.

The current state of things feels too repetitive for something that should be a dynamic and unique experience every time you get on. I think the staleness though is more on the players than the system, but the system could maybe push people into the right direction.

As it stands, people pull their gun out and are ready to shoot for something as little as calling ______ a "bitch". Or some kind of derogatory name that in the end, is still petty to take action on by threatening their life. I would rather see it be like a bar fight, where the person who is getting beat up bows down before they need medical treatment, and leaves since they CARE about not dying. Right now, no one actually values what they have, and downing someone is a norm that we are way too used to.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jack White said:

Dont you think that limited deaths would limit crime alot ? Obviously thats kinda the point but i feel like it could limit it too much but limited lives could be cool i guess we will see how it goes.

You can commit crime non-violently, you know. How many drug deals turn into shootouts?

GTA is horrible game to play "ironman" mode. So many bugs that kill off your character. Few days ago I respawned twice for reasons unknown to me. Way I see is that if players shoot eachother for simplest things then their injury recovery should be lenghty aswell. Thirty secounds in hospital or five secounds over healing ring is like no penalty at all. Perhaps options in recovery process could be explored rather than forcing permanent death as I feel it is more happy medium when you go down due to bugs or game physics.

8 hours ago, Jack White said:

Dont you think that limited deaths would limit crime alot ? Obviously thats kinda the point but i feel like it could limit it too much but limited lives could be cool i guess we will see how it goes.

No, limiting lives is in no attempt a way to control you or your character, Or stop you from doing any type of RP, its also not a Perm.... its a lock out till session re-start. (where at that time everyone gets re-set)

What limiting lives does is create consequences for your actions, You don't have to get in a shoot out, you don't have to deal drugs in a gang area. but if you want to go ahead.

Remember Cops have to think about it the same way, I'm i going to go into a broke, gang, area over some pot. FUCK NO.

I'm getting my paycheck, and retiring in 20 yrs, im not dying over a crack head. 

So before you jump the gun on this idea of limited lives, think of how it will effect everyone, not just you. 

Gangsters can actually use these areas, as protection, cause cops can't roll in like Terminators and wipe them all out. 

So is it a good thing now? 

Edited by Merr Khan
  • Like 1

I was hoping this new whitelist server idea would be more an opportunity to reimplement any of the features that the devs once had in the server but were removed because they were abused, and add anything they wanted to but couldn't because it is a public server. Kind of a Badlands+, no numbers over people's heads, beating up your cellmate, millions of great suggestions people have posted that aren't possible with 60k+ players to govern over. This hardcore idea is neat but I'm more interested in getting my pet pig Julio back ?. I can and have perma'd my characters myself when the situation called for it AND there was great rp from the people who put me down, making me want to create that realistic rp for them in return.