Ad's costing money

Sam

I don't understand why ads cost so much now, I feel like people properly using the advertisement system should promoted and shouldn't be punished 1000$. The only thing this does is discourages the use of the /ad command and I feel like it restricts people quite a bit who aren't trying to spend money. My only complain is I feel like it will make people much less likely to put out ads. Maybe I'm wrong and it's a good thing I'm curious what other people think of this. 

I believe limiting the amount of ads people put up is good.

Not only is it being used for what it was intended for,
It encourages people to put more thought into ads, something that will catch the eye.
Paying for ads makes sense, plus RL companies promote over social media too.

There are countless ways to advertise besides global messages..

Collaboration:
- Partnering
- Sponsorship

If the general populous regards you as friendly-trustworthy and your service knocks everyone else out of the ball park, people will indirectly advertise for you via word of mouth.

Shock factor:
Cargo.. Must I say more?

That is just a fraction.. use your imagination, creativity is key!

Edited by Oscar Wilde
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Storrent said:

$1000 is less than half of an hour's worth of automatic sit-on-your-ass money from just being in the server. Don't spam ads and you'll be peachy.

The high price is why twitter is now being spammed with ads instead of /ad

An ad is an call to action. From the player offering the collaboration, service, product, to the customer responding to it.
The bottom line is interaction.

If people spam, I would personally put in a cool down timer or just set a rule that this is frowned upon and that's it.

Adding a cost will A: Make people find ways not having to pay it - Twitter is mentioned.
                             B: Adding a cost to interaction - setting a  focus on cash again.

And if 1000 dollars like mentioned is nothing... then why add it as a measure to guide behavior. @Storrent
I do not mind this measure, I just feel we have many ways of approach towards an issue. Some take a bit more work...

Would prefer to promote, encourage positive behavior and set rules, guidelines to enforce towards negative behavior.
We do not like people spamming? We send out a message this is not allowed. If not people will be moderated to do so.
They get a warning. And we all know what happens if you ignore warnings.

Raising the bar is not achieved by punishing those who do not meet the standard,
but by rewarding those who do. 

I believe we can not keep taking measures that add costs, that restrict freedom and so on, because we are an open server and not everyone is following the rules.
Maybe we should set a standard and try to maintain it. 

Have seen our player base grow threefold, but amount of moderators, admins, leaders not representing that.
Maybe we having more people on board in that department might help?

Thats my 2 cents @Isaiah Rashad ;)

cheers!

• Like 1

1k is ALLOT of money. there are more new players then old players who have millions. 1k is allot, just cause ur rich doesn't mean everyone else is. I dont think /ad is worth the 1000 dollars. even when it was free it didn't give you much attention with people being interested in your ad. If /ad could make a ad that stayed for 10 mins and never got bumped by ooc or any other type of text in the feed. it would be worth the 1000. Also i dont think ooc  should cost  money because allot of new players use it when they need help. Whether they are using it in the right way or not. its not fair to the new people when they need help and dont have money. Even if they use ooc wrong, help them out, their just a newbie tryna find a nice rp server.

Edited by Smojo

Smojo, you're not wrong, however, supply and demand. If people come in to the server not knowing anything, that's on them. There is a website that they should be reading first anyways. 

If people get upset because they can't figure stuff out through RP or reading here, then they'll leave and will give someone else a chance to play. Recently, I would say over 3/4 of the ooc I see shouldn't be asked ooc in the server. 

I might be jaded because I joined after a friend invited me, but even then, I took the time to figure things out on my own and occasionally bothered him with questions. 

Back on track though, ads costing the best thing in the patch. People were abusing the heck out of it. My only qualm is that in S3, people disconnect so often that ads disappear quickly sometimes. HOWEVER, for me, I just go back and look at them using "t>page up" that's always an option. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nate said:

Smojo, you're not wrong, however, supply and demand. If people come in to the server not knowing anything, that's on them. There is a website that they should be reading first anyways. 

If people get upset because they can't figure stuff out through RP or reading here, then they'll leave and will give someone else a chance to play. Recently, I would say over 3/4 of the ooc I see shouldn't be asked ooc in the server. 

I might be jaded because I joined after a friend invited me, but even then, I took the time to figure things out on my own and occasionally bothered him with questions. 

Back on track though, ads costing the best thing in the patch. People were abusing the heck out of it. My only qualm is that in S3, people disconnect so often that ads disappear quickly sometimes. HOWEVER, for me, I just go back and look at them using "t>page up" that's always an option. 

Well yeah thats true, i think ads costing money is amazing. Just think they should cost a little less, also  once s3 becomes more stable it should be dope.