Police Seeing EMS Calls

Serena

I think after having a bit of time now to see the difference between seeing EMS calls before to now no longer seeing them... My personal take on it is that police should still be able to receive the EMS calls. Only because we often get gunshot calls in random areas, which sometimes is hard to determine if it's a hostile gunshot or a murder kitty gunshot, or a bait gunshot... or a whatever reason gunshot. An EMS call coming from the gunshot area quickly changes the thought process behind how serious the gunshot calls are. It also means we communicate with the EMS a bit more because we don't want them stepping into a hostile situation, and we should be the first on scene to clear the area.

It also allows more information to be passed along, it could be a serial killer going around after people, and we'd never get information on who unless we're aware of a downed person by talking to them individually. Just a lot of hypothetical situations I see we could take advantage of that are only positive for us in the end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Serena said:

I think after having a bit of time now to see the difference between seeing EMS calls before to now no longer seeing them... My personal take on it is that police should still be able to receive the EMS calls. Only because we often get gunshot calls in random areas, which sometimes is hard to determine if it's a hostile gunshot or a murder kitty gunshot, or a bait gunshot... or a whatever reason gunshot. An EMS call coming from the gunshot area quickly changes the thought process behind how serious the gunshot calls are. It also means we communicate with the EMS a bit more because we don't want them stepping into a hostile situation, and we should be the first on scene to clear the area.

It also allows more information to be passed along, it could be a serial killer going around after people, and we'd never get information on who unless we're aware of a downed person by talking to them individually. Just a lot of hypothetical situations I see we could take advantage of that are only positive for us in the end.

1 hour ago, KotaJon91 said:

I would say that instead of it being an F1/F2 call it turns into a star on the map like fight calls. But being able to see the calls would be helpful just if anything to assist an EMS. 

I agree with both of these. I agree that the LSPD should still be able to receive the EMS alerts just make it like a gunshot/fight/drug calls, as Kota said, and have it ping on our GPS just don't give us the f1/f2 options to accept or deny. That way we know when someone has gone down and what area they went down in so we as officers can determine whether or not we should head to that call to assist EMS in a potentially hostile scene. 

• Like 3

IMO,

When there's legit nothing going on, it was nice as a cop to be able to head to a EMS call, just to secure the scene, traffic, etc. Additional RP. A lot of the times, because Police are patrolling, we are most likely to arrive to the scene first (pending amount of officers on duty, and of course the location of the officer compared to the EMS call). 

I personally don't think it should be a STAR. I would say get rid of the F1/F2 option, but at least announce the dispatch and appear on the map as it use to.

• Like 1

Not to shut down the idea, but i think LSPD not being able to see medic calls is (or could be) a good way to enhance communication between LSFD and LSPD. I don't know any specific numbers, but i can't imagine more than 30% of all medic calls would require police presence. I would leave it like this and give room for more communication, more RP. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Anton said:

Not to shut down the idea, but i think LSPD not being able to see medic calls is (or could be) a good way to enhance communication between LSFD and LSPD. I don't know any specific numbers, but i can't imagine more than 30% of all medic calls would require police presence. I would leave it like this and give room for more communication, more RP. 

Actually, you know what. You have a valid point that I totally didn't even consider. 

1 hour ago, Anton said:

I don't know if I agree, since a lot of times the person the EMS help don't necessarily tell the truth. Or don't know how to interact with EMS yet. Lots of people are hostile towards each other in the city and take action against each other, but then when approached by EMS don't want to have police involved (since they want to get back up and not be questioned and want to take matters into their own hands) so they say something simple to get fast treatment.

I am all for having more police and EMS communication/RP, but the modes of communication are:

• Dispatch- Dispatch is already active enough for LSPD, if we could prevent having more voices added to the mix (when not really necessary) that'd be appreciated, imo. If we had the notification of a person going down, it's all the information we need to decide on how to handle our priorities. Rather than have to tell an EMS to please leave or that we'd be there, or reject, whatever that altercation is.

• EMS calling it in over phone- That requires the EMS to get to the call first, not give CPR because of it being a hostile situation, waiting on LSPD to get there, and ignore all other calls that could be coming through for EMS.

These both don't really seem ideal to me, when all that's being requested is for LSPD being able to see a downed person. All other communication required is still happening and the RP between the factions is completely up to the individuals involved.

EDIT: Another thing to consider is there is information the LSPD has that the EMS doesn't, so there's other things that play into why it's important for LSPD to get on scene first. Ie; could be drug calls directly on top of an EMS call. Could be a previous offender getting help that was wanted (call comes in from a random civilian that x person is by them trying to rob, 20 secs later down the road an EMS call comes in. We'd at least know police isn't being baited to some degree).

Edited by Serena
  • Like 1

The times I've been playing as cop I haven't had any increase in police/EMS relations.  If anything I see a decrease.  It's like EMS is out doing their own thing and we are doing ours.  And the only collaboration I see is when we have a suspect down.  I don't ever get a request for assistance because the person was downed by another player - because mainly of the EMS SOPs to remain neutral.

I would very much like to see just the "red cross" on the GPS when a player goes down.  So that way when I see fight calls and then a red cross I know I need to get there to help.  This kind of built in collaboration, I think, lends itself to a better overall experience for the player.  They don't have to wait for: 1.) EMS to show up. 2.) Then police to show up to secure the scene before EMS can render aid.  I think it is also is a more realistic experience.  How many places would not have police on the scene for a violent incident?

I'm not trying to be critical of the current state, because it works.  But I just don't see the enhanced communication or RP in collaboration between the two factions.  If anything, I've seen a decrease in such.

Edited by Chase McCane (Fludiddy)
  • Like 2

Regarding communication between PD/EMS: Is there any way to increase communication between the two groups other than jumping into the dispatch channel? IRL, if there's a call that seems like PD is needed (car wreck, assault, shooting, etc.), PD is dispatched along with EMS. 

Yesterday, I just happened to be nearby when a combination accident/shooting went out. The accident clearly needed PD from the get go, but I'd have not known about it if the gunshot didn't happen/I wasn't right there. 

• Like 1

I totally get it that it would be way more effective that way, but let's not forget that we are not actually doing medic and police jobs here, we are here to RP. If police would show up automatically at every scene, it would take a way a LOT of the already few possible interactions from the medics and they would eventually just be there to revive people. It's not the end of the world if a criminal gets away or someone has to go into the light. The more variety, the better the RP.

• Thanks 1

Just for clarification:

16 hours ago, Serena said:

I don't know if I agree, since a lot of times the person the EMS help don't necessarily tell the truth. Or don't know how to interact with EMS yet. Lots of people are hostile towards each other in the city and take action against each other, but then when approached by EMS don't want to have police involved (since they want to get back up and not be questioned and want to take matters into their own hands) so they say something simple to get fast treatment.

When EMS arrives at a scene that doesn't pose a threat for their own lives, they will do their job (reviving patients) without judging or calling police for what the patients said they have done. This falls under being neutral. If no one called police at that scene, then they shouldn't just show up.

17 hours ago, Serena said:

• EMS calling it in over phone- That requires the EMS to get to the call first, not give CPR because of it being a hostile situation, waiting on LSPD to get there, and ignore all other calls that could be coming through for EMS.

If indeed EMS can't proceed and needs police backup, after having called them, they should go to those other calls while PD arrives and clears the area. 

17 hours ago, Serena said:

EDIT: Another thing to consider is there is information the LSPD has that the EMS doesn't, so there's other things that play into why it's important for LSPD to get on scene first. Ie; could be drug calls directly on top of an EMS call. Could be a previous offender getting help that was wanted (call comes in from a random civilian that x person is by them trying to rob, 20 secs later down the road an EMS call comes in. We'd at least know police isn't being baited to some degree).

If PD gets alerts that happen to be at the same site than EMS calls, then they will both go to that call and hopefully work together, whatever information PD has to give away, they should when they brief the EMT on scene. 

Honestly I don't think more alerts or markers on the map will help communicate better. What we all need to work on is actually talking to each other, RPing with each other while on scene together, THIS is what I don't see often. (on both sides) Scenes are handed off super fast, and there is hardly any cooperation between POs and EMTs while on scene together, this is also a big missed opportunity to have fun together imo.

I feel that the new system is helping to define our roles, to add to what Anton said about this improving communication: EMS needs Police, Police needs EMS, so if both factions get the alerts only when actually really needed, that should help clear the clutter of markers for PD, and we both follow procedure to help each other on scene.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flori said:

Just for clarification:

When EMS arrives at a scene that doesn't pose a threat for their own lives, they will do their job (reviving patients) without judging or calling police for what the patients said they have done. This falls under being neutral. If no one called police at that scene, then they shouldn't just show up.

If indeed EMS can't proceed and needs police backup, after having called them, they should go to those other calls while PD arrives and clears the area. 

If PD gets alerts that happen to be at the same site than EMS calls, then they will both go to that call and hopefully work together, whatever information PD has to give away, they should when they brief the EMT on scene. 

Honestly I don't think more alerts or markers on the map will help communicate better. What we all need to work on is actually talking to each other, RPing with each other while on scene together, THIS is what I don't see often. (on both sides) Scenes are handed off super fast, and there is hardly any cooperation between POs and EMTs while on scene together, this is also a big missed opportunity to have fun together imo.

I feel that the new system is helping to define our roles, to add to what Anton said about this improving communication: EMS needs Police, Police needs EMS, so if both factions get the alerts only when actually really needed, that should help clear the clutter of markers for PD, and we both follow procedure to help each other on scene.

I don't know how this has anything to do with taking away defining roles. This is a simple marker so PD has more information on their side in terms of how to prioritize what's going on for them in that moment. If anything, it will allow more RP because police will show up to a fight that resulted in a downed person and the EMS could be none the wiser. 

If I get a drug call at the same spot an EMS receives a downed person call, it doesn't mean we will be there on scene at the same time. I could have 4 other calls within the same vicinity and now I think I have to go sleuth mode trying to find a drug dealer. If I had known there was a downed person in one of the call areas, I'd head over there ASAP over the other drug calls. But how would EMS know? They wouldn't unless the patient self-incriminated. These are simple hypothetical situations, but I think the point stands that EMS doesn't have the full picture and likely won't in these examples. And EMS/PD would have more interaction if we had that very simple marker.

I may not understand @Anton's point, because I don't agree. I don't know how EMS/PD interaction means less RP. Does that not mean more, actually? Isn't what everyone wants is to have more definition to their role and more communication between the factions? This is exactly that. We can't revive as PD, we call for EMS > We interact with EMS and let them do their job > EMS takes care of patients and then PD does their part once given the clear by EMS.

Also, would you say that police showed up at every scene previously, Anton? Because I don't think they did. Legitimately all that's being asked here is to be given a version of what we had before in EMS calls. 

Edited by Serena

My personal experience is that the change is working great.  It has added a ton more value to EMS.  Cops should be focused on law enforcement EMS should be primary for all medical emergencies.  Our paths will and do cross a lot.  I've had several times where EMS has requested assistance either through discord or in game messaging (911 or phone calls).

One of the problems with Cops chasing EMS calls is that they inadvertently step on EMS roll play by showing up - asking all the questions, etc.  EMS rolls up and they basically are left with putting on the band aid b/c the RP has been done by cops.  PD - essentially - needs to share the RP.

We have plenty to do from:
1.  Patrolling illegal and LEGAL areas
2.  Enforcing traffic laws
3.  Responding to numerous 911 calls

This change frees us up more to expand our RP and services.  One idea is to start using Marine patrols more for drug investigation on the beach.

Again I think this change just shakes up the way we interact but 100% promotes it when needed.  I find our paths cross frequently and I'm a huge fan of the changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So it seems the pros/cons of PD getting the simple marker of a downed player are:

Pros-

• Cops can prioritize which call is more important to attend to in the moment

• Have more information about incidents occurring across the city

• Interact with EMS more

Cons-

• EMS feel devalued by having cops on scene

• Less interaction with patients(?), become "revive bots"

Re Tiller's response: I don't know how police showing up hinders anyone's RP, since our RP's are different in nature. PD secures a scene so the EMS can perform their duties as EMS. Nothing in what an EMS does is changed? I'm a little confused by this. I still ask every patient what happened, where they're injured, and I proceed per usual. Maybe someone can shed light on how PD being present removes RP for them, because I as cop let the EMS do their job and I as EMS don't feel my toes being stepped on by PD.

Either way, it seems like a very simple marker for PD to see downed people makes a drastic change in how EMS feel valued in their role.

I'll give you a sample script from 90% of interactions prior to the change:

1.  911 issued for a person needing medical assistance.
  2. Cop arrives on scene:  "what happened to you"
  3. Patient gives detailed explanation to PD while they wait for EMS to arrive.
  4. EMS arrives - Cop regurgitates summary while EMS listens.  Says "you can pick them up ems"
  5. EMS says "I see you were shot let me fix it"
  6. Scene over

New system allows EMS to arrive on scene, assess themselves, ask detailed questions that they are trained to ask and take primary role for the role their faction was created for.  PD can focus on the things they are responsible for.  If EMS needs assistance an easy to be made 911 call is made. 

• Cops can prioritize which call is more important to attend to in the moment - This does not add up.   You should be prioritizing PD calls.  If EMS needs help then we add that to our list of prioritization.  Seeing the marker on the map does nothing to facilitate priority (or at least it should not).

• Have more information about incidents occurring across the city - You don't need to know that grandma fell out of a car to do your job.

• Interact with EMS more - I find that with this change interactions with EMS have actually increased and are far more positive.  Creating an environment where they are primary to gather and can call on us when needed has increased communication and interaction.  Before it was, as I described above, very static.  In addition PD would swarm to downed players in illegal areas or areas known to be used for illegal activities.  This is seems a tad bit power gamey to me (and I never use that word).  

While you might not see how these change helped to add more value to EMS I can tell you that a lot of people do.  I'm talking about the cumulative change.  It's been very positive for both factions based on the feedback I've heard.  While a marker may seem simple to you - I prefer a simple request for help from EMS if they need us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Allow me to make some comments on this topic from my standpoint.

Firstly, I do believe PD should be notified in some manner of downed players.  Where the consensus is leading though, it appears a ping of sorts is not going to happen. Perhaps as an alternative EMS could rewrite their SOP's to mandate they call PD if there is potential that a crime had been committed "Mandatory Reporters" (I understand they are to "remain nuetral" but maybe this needs to change) or maybe the Developers can work something where EMS have a F1/F2 to request immediate PD assistance when they arrive on scene. 

Additionally, a good majority of IRL departments PD and EMS dispatch are in the same room. For example, FD gets a medical call and requests PD assistance based on the situation. Vice-Versa PD gets calls and informs FD of the situation, then either tells them assistance isn't needed at this time OR it will be and to stage up down the street until the all-clear is given via radio. They use the same maps and overlays to track units around the city and dispatch accordingly. I understand from a mechanics standpoint Badlands will never be exactly like IRL but we should be working together whenever we can. EMS should not be able to treat a patient for being shot, and send him on his way without PD getting their culprits description. IMO once all "life-threatening injuries" are treated PD should be there to question the patient prior to final release.

On 8/8/2018 at 2:26 PM, Anton said:

In RP theory-sense yes, the issue arises because individuals in both factions do not communicate.

5 hours ago, TiLLeR said:

One of the problems with Cops chasing EMS calls is that they inadvertently step on EMS roll play by showing up - asking all the questions, etc.  EMS rolls up and they basically are left with putting on the band aid b/c the RP has been done by cops.  PD - essentially - needs to share the RP.

EMS's job is to assess the injuries and to treat what they find. PD's job IS to ask the right questions and bring criminals to justice. I will agree that in the majority of cases PD asks their questions first and then tells EMS what happens (people shouldn't talk if they were shot in the face)...it should be the opposite. Our main goal in these situations should be to save lives. EMS should be able to find out what the extent of the injuries are (they have the training, PD does not) but in the same regard PD should be allowed to interview the subjects and perhaps this is a change that needs to be made in SOP's.

1 hour ago, TiLLeR said:

• Have more information about incidents occurring across the city - You don't need to know that grandma fell out of a car to do your job.

If "Grandma" was shoved out due to a car-jacking or was under the influence of a hallucinogenic which caused her to jump out...then I believe PD does need that information and EMS should be required to inform PD.

1 hour ago, TiLLeR said:

• Cops can prioritize which call is more important to attend to in the moment - This does not add up.   You should be prioritizing PD calls.  If EMS needs help then we add that to our list of prioritization.  Seeing the marker on the map does nothing to facilitate priority (or at least it should not).

EMS calls can turn into PD calls IF EMS relays the information, which as of right now they have to "remain neutral"

Lastly, let me provide an example of a scenario which actually happened to prove some of my previous points.

PD was patrolling responding to drug calls, fights, etc. There were a few calls up north inside of the ephedrine camp. I cleared up my drug sweeps and headed up north to check it all out. EMS was on scene for multiple downed civilians inside of the camp. They had already cleared the scene, gotten everyone up, and all of the potential "culprits" were gone. I asked EMS what the situation was, to which they stated "A guy was claiming there were 3 men holding him at gunpoint inside of the field demanding that he load their trucks with ephedrine. Stuff got hairy, people were downed, and one of the patients believes the other guy fled the scene."

EMS IMO should be Mandatory Reporters to crimes witnessed if said crime is involved in their scene. There was no communication or factions working together in this situation. Where there are decent cops and decent EMS who do RP well and work hand in hand if the situation calls for it, there is an equal amount of both factions who do not. This environment is not promoting communication nor working together for the entirety of the factions. It is promoting segregation.

TLDR:

1 hour ago, TiLLeR said:

While you might not see how these change helped to add more value to EMS I can tell you that a lot of people do.  I'm talking about the cumulative change.  It's been very positive for both factions based on the feedback I've heard.  While a marker may seem simple to you - I prefer a simple request for help from EMS if they need us.

Whereas it is a step in the right direction, it may or may not be positive depending on who you talk to...but it is far from perfect and still needs some kinks worked out.

Edited by McFeasible
grammatical
  • Like 1

I'm really not understanding why this is such a big issue to very few.
Why are we suggesting that LSFD should change SOP's to be more confined in what we do? 

We have protocols set in place to not put ourselves in danger, and to call police before we ever do put ourselves in any sort of danger. 
When people tell us they were shot and want police, we call police.
When people tell us they don't want police, it's not our job to force them into that situation where police arrive.
If we need police for any situation, we will call for assistance.
This whole thing about police needing to know where downed players are, is just getting ridiculous IMO.

Tiller put it perfectly as to why this system is already better than the last system.

2 hours ago, TiLLeR said:

New system allows EMS to arrive on scene, assess themselves, ask detailed questions that they are trained to ask and take primary role for the role their faction was created for.  PD can focus on the things they are responsible for.  If EMS needs assistance an easy to be made 911 call is made. 

• Interact with EMS more - I find that with this change interactions with EMS have actually increased and are far more positive.  Creating an environment where they are primary to gather and can call on us when needed has increased communication and interaction.  Before it was, as I described above, very static.  In addition PD would swarm to downed players in illegal areas or areas known to be used for illegal activities.  This is seems a tad bit power gamey to me (and I never use that word).  

EDIT: I'M NOT SAYING THIS SYSTEM IS PERFECT IN ANY MEANS. THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVMENT TO THINGS THAT ARE FRESHLY IMPLEMENTED, HOWEVER PD SEEING THE LOCATIONS OF DOWNED PLAYERS IS NOT THE WAY TO SOLVE ISSUES. ?

Edited by Bret Prozekt [2475]
:smiley:
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TiLLeR said:

I'll give you a sample script from 90% of interactions prior to the change:

1.  911 issued for a person needing medical assistance.
  2. Cop arrives on scene:  "what happened to you"
  3. Patient gives detailed explanation to PD while they wait for EMS to arrive.
  4. EMS arrives - Cop regurgitates summary while EMS listens.  Says "you can pick them up ems"
  5. EMS says "I see you were shot let me fix it"
  6. Scene over

Tbh I think these responses are blowing the original point out of proportion. It's a marker on the map for informational purposes to PD. It's not synonymous to EMS being less important or not having an important role =\

- We are not "chasing EMS calls". We're taking the information and applying our training to the given situations. Of course seeing a downed person can facilitate priorities. Why wouldn't it?

- We're not checking on Grandma who fell. Seeing the marker doesn't mean we actually go to the scene. It's information, and we need to apply our training and decision-making into figuring out whether x, y, or z marker is worth our while to even investigate. Maybe it's my way of explaining, but I'm not saying PD responds to every EMS call here. I'm saying we apply our training to decide if we should investigate a downed person or not based on multiple other factors. 

I see this is far beyond an issue of a marker on the map for PD. This is about EMS being acknowledged for their role. We can't sit here and talk about having better communication and interaction between the factions, but then do so much to separate the entities. "Working together" to give more information means EMS can no longer be as "neutral" as they have been by not contacting PD when their patient has committed criminal activities or been on the receiving end of a criminal act.

Unless the only kind of communication we want between the factions is to be what it already is, which means any argument herein and out about promoting more communication are null, then something needs to change.

41 minutes ago, McFeasible said:

EMS IMO should be Mandatory Reporters to crimes witnessed if said crime is involved in their scene.

Instituting "Mandatory Reporting" and removing "Remain Neutral" would not only increase the amount of RP EMS has to work with, but it would also allow for more worthwhile RP between PD and EMS. It would bridge the gap and promote the communication between factions.

13 minutes ago, Bret Prozekt [2475] said:

Why are we suggesting that LSFD should change SOP's to be more confined in what we do? 

We have protocols set in place to not put ourselves in danger, and to call police before we ever do put ourselves in any sort of danger. 
When people tell us they were shot and want police, we call police.
When people tell us they don't want police, it's not our job to force them into that situation where police arrive.
If we need police for any situation, we will call for assistance.
This whole thing about police needing to know where downed players are, is just getting ridiculous IMO.

It wouldn't "confine" you or what you do it would broaden.

No one is asking you to put yourself in danger.

90% of the time EMS only calls PD when the situation is hostile.

I am not disagreeing. The new system is better than the old system.

These were merely suggestions on a topic...on a forum. Why anyone would say it's ridiculous, play it down, or attempt to shut it down and end the conversation because they don't agree is beyond me. This can be discussed like adults. Its a forum.

Edited by McFeasible
grammar
  • Like 2

• TiLLeR locked this topic