Character Slots - What do you want out of it? [POLL]

Serpico

Character slots  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's easy to say "New char, new life, new everything.", and for the most part, I agree. My concern though, is that this will lead to even more money grinding than we already see, so that the new character can have the things that character needs/wants.

Is it possible to start everything over, except for bank balance? That way only one character needs to grind, but the assets are still separate and can't be used by the other characters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alexia Kade said:

Please no. What about characters that aren't criminals but do some illegals things sometimes because on drugs, drunk, or whatever the reason? Fired because can't be criminal and work for the government? What about people that don't want to have multiple characters?

Like I said it was an opinion. I was just seeing what they think about it, what you said is definitely a good point, "What about people that don't want to have multiple characters?" In all honesty I have nothing to that answer except for the fact of it not being good for RP in all honesty, I get that you get some corrupt cops but everyone being corrupt is a point that's already been debated and talked about. 

15 minutes ago, Alexia Kade said:

I think people forget that you would have to start again, from scratch, zero, nada. Assets don't matter. If you don't want your new character to have a supercar but you own one, or you want your character to be poor and greedy, not spending $120 on a kebab? Then just act like it and don't take your supercar out. Its simple. What if you really like one of your car, that would also fit your other characters, forced to buy it again? Lot of money grinding here and some people -

yeah, true - have a real life. Might have taken months to get a car with their schedule, but now have to buy it again? We are used to pretend and RP it out, why would we need assets that would complicate for those that aren't interested in having a whole new inventory/money/car but forced to do it? Just pretend, everyone's gotta be happy. ?

I'll say this once because it's the reason for me bringing up most things and liking the idea of resetting every asset for the new characters. When you're creating a new character... It's like joining the server fresh again. It's not for everyone but it sure as hell makes you feel new which I would personally love as it gives you a whole new way of seeing things like making friends with people and just in general RP'ing like you're new. 

6 minutes ago, Alexia Kade said:

Don't forget, its a light RP server. Not real life, its a game. No need to force something when you can just pretend it.

I mean the server has been going towards a more Medium RP with the new updates and this has been a definite view from just looking at the new patch notes. I just see the potential and I obviously get the fact that it might be annoying but it urges people to make new RP characters which would be beneficial in many ways seeing the fact of new people and new personalities instead of the same old "I wanna kill people". (Not saying everyone does this don't worry just stating an opinion on my side)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, errorlink said:

With the character slots coming out I want to suggest that you cannot be a criminal and cop/ems on the same character anymore.

I think it should be separate lives now.

i wanted this ever since i started playing here. now i think it's really hard to draw a line between crime and clean life. like would you be un-whitelisted if police catches you smoking a joint? 

• Like 3

Just now, Anton said:

i wanted this ever since i started playing here. now i think it's really hard to draw a line between crime and clean life. like would you be un-whitelisted if police catches you smoking a joint? 

I'd say a strike system, if you're caught with possessing illegals or caught doing anything that's a felony should give you a warning out of 3. Feel like this might be a good compromise.

4 minutes ago, Reckonity said:

Like I said it was an opinion. I was just seeing what they think about it, what you said is definitely a good point, "What about people that don't want to have multiple characters?" In all honesty I have nothing to that answer except for the fact of it not being good for RP in all honesty, I get that you get some corrupt cops but everyone being corrupt is a point that's already been debated and talked about. 

Personally, my character is influencable, when around friends, alcohol, to impress, she can do dumb things, so I couldn't be anymore in the LSPD and LSFD because I sometimes swerve lanes? I'm not talking about real criminals that rob people and are drug lords or etc. I'm talking about lowlife "criminals", non-assumed ones. Where would the line be? I mean, if you want a criminal character, just don't go on duty with that character. Like the rest, just don't do it. But complicating things and forcing it because we can have character slots.. Makes no sense to me. I just think that forcing it would chop a huge chunk of my character, she couldn't be who she actually is. And I know I'm not the only one playing that kind of character.

Edited by Alexia Kade

You guys are getting ahead of yourselves, Changes to the server come first, then Sr. PD makes determinations for balancing. 

Unless the death penalty comes into play for really bad guys (slot gets deleted), I would not want to put my position in the lspd on the chopping block for going 80mph in the city, or smoking a J.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bob Johnson said:

My concern though, is that this will lead to even more money grinding than we already see, so that the new character can have the things that character needs/wants.

This is one of the reasons I brought up the whole "When you're a Officer or an EMT you can't be a criminal" it would help sometimes in this situation making it so people can't do illegals if the character they're using a Cop character.

Just now, Merr Khan said:

You guys are getting ahead of yourselves, Changes to the server come first, then Sr. PD makes determinations for balancing. 

Unless the death penalty comes into play for really bad guys (slot gets deleted), I would not want to put my position in the lspd on the chopping block for going 80mph in the city, or smoking a J.  

I will admit this is one thing I am very concerned about when talking about what i've been talking about. While yes it's pretty true I mainly want to see what everyone think's about it.

3 minutes ago, Anton said:

Also 32 slot's on the server ask yourself how many players are connected to the government playing at the same time 5ems on duty,5 lspd on duty, then the rest who are off duty....you start to think how many player's are really unconnected and playing at the same time in the server....alot I think.

Mags

4 minutes ago, Merr Khan said:

I want to emphasize this. This topic is for discussion on how the mechanics of character slots should work, nothing else. The specific implementation of this feature makes no difference for other gameplay mechanics such as whitelisting, and as @Merr Khan said, those kinds of changes will be discussed later.

1 minute ago, speed said:

I want to emphasize this. This topic is for discussion on how the mechanics of character slots should work, nothing else. The mechanics of this feature will not influence other gameplay mechanics such as whitelisting whatsoever, and as @Merr Khan said, those kinds of decisions will be made down the line.

Fair, just wanted to see what people thought, sorry if I caused a lot of controversy. 

Maybe make a new topic to continue this discussion in a different thread so not to dillute this one. I don’t see a good reason so separate bank, garage and assets. It’s RP if you don’t want your second char to use certain vehicles or money then just don’t. But I don’t see the point of hinder someone else who wants their character to have said things.

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

I don’t see a good reason not to separate bank, garage and assets. It’s RP if you want to use a new character why would they start with a ton of money and cars. I don’t see the point of hinder someone else who wants their character to be totally new

Problem is the exact same argument can be made for the opposite side.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mia Ramirez said:

Having each separate would be wonderful! Then there is possibility of being both PD/EMS and a Criminal, which would give other members of PD/EMS a chance to be on duty while the more active ones play a criminal/civilian instead. 

Question, as I've never been in a dept on bl's but let's say Tonight I'm going to be off duty and do drug's... I still would have access to com's (discord) to see who's on duty? you need a distinction between COPS-Criminal. I don't think is a great move to many close tie's between these's group's & not enough slot's to fill all these's new good/bad/ugly character's. Let's look at the chief he's a straight out & out cop...that work's that's why you respect him.....it would be different if he was coming on after duty doing bong's with the gang laughing about how I arrested one of the gang member's 2hr's before...hey he could even be using his drug's he took of him when on duty.

MAGS

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, speed said:

Problem is the exact same argument can be made for the opposite side.

But keeping assests between chars doesn’t prevent you from not using said assests on a diff char. On the other hand if you want a diff char without having to do the money grind all over again, you will be prevented from this if assests are completely separated. 

• Like 1

Can't recall who mentioned it about grinding? 

When I first joined the server so much people were all about their jobs. Doing diving for hours per day... Peaches... and the odd person doing illegal stuff. It was a good nature seeing people actually work & it will be good seeing those people working again instead of hanging around places because they aren't established (flashy, cars, no mates ect.)

*additional info*

I rarely see anyone doing actual work now (legal wise) so would be good to see these people who sit on an empire going back to basics been took under the wing of new players and so on.

Also a +1 for the no criminal activity on whitelisted characters.

Edited by ImVexal
Additiona linfo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ImVexal said:

I rarely see anyone doing actual work now (legal wise) so would be good to see these people who sit on an empire going back to basics been took under the wing of new players and so on.

5 minutes ago, KotaJon91 said:

Personally you want separate characters you should have to earn separate money and cars. That is my opinion. 

I don't agree on those. If someone wants to be stuck on the loop of grinding for money then thumbs up for them. Sell your cars and then trash your money. Or tell some admin to fully wipe your account they sure won't mind. But for those that look as several characters as an option to increase RP. Having to grind on each new character just to get the goods that fit that character makes no sense. Making a always legal civ that is wealthy, like a lawyer might take quite a lot. Instead of just making the char and RPlaying away.

Tho completely agree. First implement it, then debate what rules should improve it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomas García said:

I don't agree on those. If someone wants to be stuck on the loop of grinding for money then thumbs up for them. Sell your cars and then trash your money. Or tell some admin to fully wipe your account they sure won't mind. But for those that look as several characters as an option to increase RP. Having to grind on each new character just to get the goods that fit that character makes no sense. Making a always legal civ that is wealthy, like a lawyer might take quite a lot. Instead of just making the char and RPlaying away.

Tho completely agree. First implement it, then debate what rules should improve it.

So what did I do when I first joined 0.o?? I had to grind. I wasn't spoon fed I had to progress and dedicated time to where my character is today where I feel if u want a secondary character It should be the same straight off the train.

Just my opinion on that.

Edited by ImVexal
  • Like 1