Character Slots - What do you want out of it? [POLL]

Serpico

Character slots  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Tomas García said:

I don't agree on those. If someone wants to be stuck on the loop of grinding for money then thumbs up for them. Sell your cars and then trash your money. Or tell some admin to fully wipe your account they sure won't mind. But for those that look as several characters as an option to increase RP. Having to grind on each new character just to get the goods that fit that character makes no sense. Making a always legal civ that is wealthy, like a lawyer might take quite a lot. Instead of just making the char and RPlaying away.

Tho completely agree. First implement it, then debate what rules should improve it.

It's called character development and RP to have to build up a new character from scratch it's really not hard to RP a new character on the way to making money....  I feel like someone that is making this argument is a you want your cake and want to eat it too mentality. You want character slots but don't want to have to build a new life and build new RP to get your character to where you want it to be.

• Like 3

But many of us have already developed these other characters before this whole character slot thing was even on the radar. Me personally, Jerome is my main but I've also put in time as other people that have nothing to do with Jerome in any way and don't share the same friends or anything. Since we didnt have character slots I purchased things for these other characters with money these characters earned even though it was all saved to 1 account. Even though I dont play these characters much anymore If I ever want to do so you want me to start over as a baldy with $200 and a cruiser bike. Nah sorry I'll just retire them.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Alexia Kade said:

know we want this to be as close as real life, but don't forget, its a light RP server. Not real life, its a game.

It has not been a light RP server for a while now. We do consider ourselves a medium to hard RP server. We have our rules set, and we are quite firm about them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomas García said:

If someone wants to be stuck on the loop of grinding for money then thumbs up for them. Sell your cars and then trash your money. Or tell some admin to fully wipe your account they sure won't mind. But for those that look as several characters as an option to increase RP. Having to grind on each new character just to get the goods that fit that character makes no sense. Making a always legal civ that is wealthy, like a lawyer might take quite a lot. Instead of just making the char and RPlaying away.

You can always choose to change your current character to a one that you want to be rich. And just saying, you can RP a lot of different characters without grinding. Asking an admin to wipe all your money is really dumb, because then you lose it FOREVER and you won't have that rich character anymore, unless you grind back to it. Instead, if you want to create a poor character or just a character that's not a supercar and every damn expensive thing owner, now you have an option for that without losing all your money forever (like I did because I just got bored to that rich life and gave everything to a random guy to have a fresh start myself). 

So basically, if you can't stand the fact you're gonna lose money and such, then yous go for the old way and change name/appearance. If you want to have fresh start for a whole new character, then create a new one. 

EDIT: I think people don't understand that it's not going to be against the rules to just do the same way as we have been doing to this day.. NOBODY prevents and will prevent you changing your character without creating a new one.

Edited by Johan

For me personally, i understand what people say regarding immersion, 
but I believe a lot of new characters will simply grind again.
And that can be a choice. In the world we live in, money gives and represents a form of achievement and success, it also represents freedom.
Freedom to just be. So it's normal a lot of  citizens long for that.

The more options and freedom I see, the more choices I have to just RP. And be whatever my mind can come up with.
I can choose to start from zero, not care about all that stuff and play a character that way. Not touching anything Bill has.
Or build it all up again and start grinding, if I would like to offer jobs again or do other things that need some money to start up with.

So I would like to have a choice, with any character to either start off well on it's way, with a background fitting, car fitting, all of it.
Or be totally different, a hippy living in the mountains sort a speak. As I see it the more freedom I have to be creative the better.

Cheers :)

On a small note: i see the practicality in the seperation, easier to follow things up

Edited by Str84it
  • Like 1

So.. I agree that starting from scratch might help with the glorious "immersion" but come on guys... do we really need a database/mechanics to dictate what our story is? Not imo.

I feel like if you force new characters to start from zero you are taking away the possibility for:
a- people that already play with different characters and have been grinding for them to have their own stuff
b- the freedom to choose to not grind and spend your time actually RPing. I know there are so many new possibilities for RPd jobs but if we are honest, those aren't the best paid. 

If you are new in town and start from scratch, ideally if you keep at least your money, it gives you more freedom to do RP'd jobs, get involved with other players without having to spend hours alone scuba diving. 

If the decision is to create the slots totally separate from original account, I hope you don't make it bannable to transfer money between those accounts, again, that would be taking the choice away from us.

• Like 5

Yeah, not every character who arrive to city needs to be poor. Besides it opens RP options for you to RP some rich druglord or mafia criminal who has millions in the bank or just wealthy person who moved to Los Santos or even regular Joe or Jane who has enough money to start new life without trucking tacos on bicycle for shitty pay.

When I think of this character slots options. I think of wardrobe in my apartment. I go to menu, select from bunch of characters I created and skins/clothes I slapped on em and then pick em and my ID / phone /plate changes, thats it. Maaaaybe, you cant keep your apartement or cars. But money is in my opinion is must have to keep.

Edited by Victor
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KotaJon91 said:

You want character slots but don't want to have to build a new life and build new RP to get your character to where you want it to be.

This is debatable... creating a new character, being a new person in this city deson't mean you are starting your life right the second you hit enter on that new slot. You do have a backstory, you do come from somewhere, you are already someone.
Build new relationhips: Money or no money, not affected by database
Build a new life in this city: you could have come on your jet plane loaded of millions of euros from importing cocaine into spain whatever. 
Get a job fitting the personality of your new character: Awesome!! good RP!! how long is it gonna take you to get the car that would fit your characters lifestyle? this is the thing, some of us don't want to go through it all over again. I will still get a job because it's part of life, and it should be fun if it's RPd.
I agree with Bill that starting from scratch is good to follow the progress of your character, but what about the people that are not here to do that? being born-live-die kind of progress. I just want to have fun RPing with people thats all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex White/Grandma Elsie said:

I wouldn't want option 2 as it means I have to grind AGAIN on my other characters... ?

I think people just don't get this.. you don't HAVE TO use different character slot even if they add those character slots, you can do it the old way anyway..  With a slot that resets your new character to 0, you have an option to have a fresh start without losing everything from your another character. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can still change your ID like before after the character slots get implemented? @speed

1 hour ago, Johan said:

I think people just don't get this.. you don't HAVE TO use different character slot even if they add those character slots, you can do it the old way anyway..  With a slot that resets your new character to 0, you have an option to have a fresh start without losing everything from your another character. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can still change your ID like before after the character slots get implemented? @speed

But this is exactly why people want character slots, so you dont have to go to city hall every time, change clothes/model back and forth. of course you DONT HAVE TO use the slot, but then why even add it? You are pushing for something that YOU want and fail to see the points given from the people that dont want it because their alternative characters either arent poor, they already have a story going on, or simply don't feel like a "fresh start" means the same that it does for you.

again, simple solution/compromise: Start fresh, no connection to previous account, but allow players to transfer money so they don't have to grind if they dont want to. Give us the choice, thats all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flori said:

again, simple solution/compromise: Start fresh, no connection to previous account, but allow players to transfer money so they don't have to grind if they dont want to. Give us the choice, thats all.

There would be nothing wrong with transferring money if we do decide to go down the route of brand new characters.

• Like 2

If money transfer won't be a ban like on other servers then option 2 should be the route we go anyways the people that want to transfer money to their other characters will be able to do so, Yet it keeps the immersion for everyone else.

(Although I will say you don't need money or shiny things to role play. The trend seems to be you have to have a million in your bank account the fastest or nicest cars to enjoy the server and that just isn't true and I wish the server would spend less time worrying about the money and more about giving each other great encounters and stories. I get that you may want to be able to RP a rich person or just not be dirt poor off the boat but with being able to transfer that money over which is something normally never allowed on medium or hard RP servers you should now have that choice.)

Edited by KotaJon91
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, KotaJon91 said:

(Although I will say you don't need money or shiny things to role play.

some people might argue that they need some amount of money to buy the stuff suited for their characters personality/lifestyle and help with their "immersion"... but i think its a debate for another thread.

• Like 2

I voted option 1. I feel like a lot of people are ignoring the fact that your character exists before you get into the city. You have a background and life before you get here, its not like youre just born as an adult and your life starts from the second you walk out of that subway. If i want to RP a character that is a successful lawyer coming to LS it makes no sense for me to start out with no money, no license, no car. People have already put in the work and grind to get that money, theres no reason they should have to do it again. especially since some people already have alt characters that have been around for a long time, youre going to make them start all over again from nothing? doesnt make much sense ot me. At the very least people should be able to transfer money if they wish. This server is called Badlands RP not Badlands Grind, the primary focus is for roleplaying and i feel that option 2 would hinder it. 

• Like 2

If you keep them separate then you are offering a 'get out of jail' card to everyone unless swapping characters is closely managed.  I'm all for separate characters but after a year I know lots of people will take advantage of it if we allow it to happen at any time.  A few thoughts:

1.  You choose when you connect and cannot change until the next storm

2.  If you are on the wanted list you cannot change.

• Like 3

I don't agree locking someone to one character until the restart. Actually if that was the case I wouldn't even bother using the character slots. As I don't have the time to play all day and wait until another restart to be able to play another character.

Now locking someone in if they're on the wanted list is a good idea.

Edited by KotaJon91
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, KotaJon91 said:

I don't agree locking someone to one character until the restart. Actually if that was the case I wouldn't even bother using the character slots. As I don't have the time to play all day and wait until another restart to be able to play another character.

Now locking someone in if they're on the wanted list is a good idea.

Wonder if it could migrate with the BOLO system if your on there it blocks it until the BOLO is removed from the database 

• Like 1

@Speed mention that transferring money between character shouldn't be an issue, at least, as is been planned at the current moment. So many of the arguments said get reduced to.
Option 1, quicker and more simple to implement at the moment.
Option 2, same but garages won't be shared between characters or business. And the dangerous one Money.

So with option 2 people could use them to make wild characters that get no fines or restitution because they are broke and just send money from main char when they need something.
For those that think that grinding is building up a character, it has nothing to do with it. Grinding is just grinding, actually there are no rules that force you to RP when you grind and when I have to do it tends to be pure grind, and I'm here to RP. When I need money I do wine. Anytime I do coke and meth is just or the sake of RP, money wise is not worth it.  I would love to split Tomas into the mix of characters I been playing and start RP right away. If money was a limitation all the extra chars would be just poor since I don't want to keep grinding. Which limits the RP.

Hope people don't use the alternate characters for those wild times and are asking for option 2 so they have no chance of loosing money. As a player I see money as another tool I can use to do things withing my RP and the $$$ in my bank doesn't represent the money that Tomas ICly has. RP is about been creative and using the tools you have, instead of abusing them just because they are there.

And limits regarding logging in and out. All depends how it is implemented. I would say that players should need to change if they get in the wrong char when logging in. But then locking them to a character for a certain time could be good. I wouldn't go as far as a whole storm as @TiLLeR said, since, even I have the time for it, some might not and maybe want to play more than one char in the limited time they have on their daily time for gaming. And about the card free of jail, I guess that down the road having several characters could mean allowing records to last longer, since it would make more sense, and there is no need to wipe them as often like now that we don't have the slots. And in the same way, I think that swapping IDs, it's just the way to cope with having no chars slots, and hope that after some time testing the slots, the changing IDs within the same char goes away. 

5 hours ago, TiLLeR said:

I know lots of people will take advantage of it if we allow it to happen at any time.

I totally agree with this cause they will just elude the police and switch char .... They do it now in a way by changing clothes, hair or hair color to get away from cops or maybe lock it on a 3 hr cycle and locked like TiLLeR said if on the wanted list.

• Like 1